Evergreen Cemetery General Rules & Regulations
1. Cemetery hours are from Dawn to Dusk. Any other times by permission only.
2. Vehicles shall not be permitted to enter or leave the cemetery except by the public gates.
3. Cemetery will be closed due to bad weather or during storm clean-up.
4. Driving or parking on the grass with automobiles or other vehicles will not be permitted.
5. Automobiles shall not be driven through the grounds at a greater speed than ten miles per hour, and must always be kept on the right side of the cemetery roadways, and must obey all one way avenues. Automobiles are not allowed to turn around on the driveways, and are not allowed to park or to come to a full stop in front of an open grave unless such automobiles are in attendance at the funeral.
6. Office hours are by appointment only.
7. No firearms permitted in the cemetery.
8. Alcoholic beverages will not be permitted in the cemetery at any time.
9. Persons will not be permitted to use profane or boisterous language or in any way disturb the quiet and good order of the cemetery.
10. All persons are forbidden to hunt fowl or other animals about the cemetery.
11. Persons shall not pluck or remove any plant or flower, either wild or cultivated, from any part of the cemetery.
12. Visitors and owners must not engage the services of the attendants for compensation. The entire time of the persons regularly employed on the grounds belongs to the Association. All orders, inquires and complaints must be left at the office.
To facilitate more efficient mowing and trimming, and reduce costs.
1. Digging or planting of flowers, trees, or shrubs on graves will not be permitted.
2. Artificial flowers or wreaths will not be permitted from May 1st until November 1st.
3. Flowers must be removed from graves October 15th until November 1st because of fall clean-up, unless by permission.
4. All Christmas flowers should be removed by February 1st.
5. Artificial flower arrangements are not permitted on top of monuments throughout the entire year.
6. Cement or glass flower containers will not be permitted.
7. Man-made, permanent markers will not be permitted on the graves.Monuments shall be made of bronze, marble or granite.
8. Only two flower containers (at the same time) per monument permitted on a lot. Yard ornaments, candles, toys, balloons, banners, statues & miniatures and glassware will not be permitted on any lot or monument.
9. Enclosures of any kind such as a fence, coping, hedge, or ditch, shall not be permitted around any grave or lot. Grave mounds will not be allowed and lots shall not be raised above the established grade.
10. National or State flags are permitted from Memorial Day – July 4th and from November 10th – 20th (Veterans’ Day – Remembrance Day).
11. The Association is not responsible for theft or damage to anything placed on graves or lots. The Association has the right to immediately discard any artificial flower (May 1st – Nov. 1st) item that has been removed from a lot
12. Wooden or cast-iron benches or chairs or any wooden or wire trellis, shall not be permitted to be upon the grounds.
13. The Association and its employees have authority to enter upon any lot and to remove any objectionable thing or any erection that may have been placed there contrary to the regulations of the said Board.
14. Holders containing flowers or other decorations will be removed as soon as the flowers fade and wither and the right is reserved by the cemetery to make such removal. Also, spring and winter decorations will be removed at such time as is specified by an annual advertisement in the Gettysburg Times. If decorations and containers are not removed by owner, he thereby forfeits all right, title and interest in same. The cemetery may dispose of them in any way it deems best.
15. All grading, landscape work and improvements of any kind, and all care of lots, trees, shrubs of any kind shall be planted, trimmed, cut or removed, and all openings and closings of graves and all interments, disinterments, and removals shall be made by the Association’s personnel.
16. The authorized Superintendent of the cemetery shall direct all improvements within the grounds and upon all lots and graves, before as well as after interments have been made therein. He shall have charge of the planting, sodding, surveying and improvements.
17. If any memorial, or any structure whatsoever, or any inscription to be placed on same, shall be determined by the officers or superintendent, to be offensive, they shall have the right and it shall be their duty, to enter upon such lot and remove, change or correct the offensive or improper object or objects.
18. If any tree, shrub or plant standing upon any lot, by means of its roots, branches or otherwise, be or become detrimental to adjacent lots or avenues, or if for any other reason its removal is deemed necessary, the cemetery shall have the right and it shall be their duty, to remove such tree, shrub or plant, or any part thereof, or otherwise correct the condition existing as in their judgment seems best.
19. The Association reserves the right to compel all persons coming into the cemetery to obey all rules and regulations adopted by the Association. The Board of Trustees may, and it hereby expressly reserves the right at any time, with or without notice to owners, to adopt new rules and regulations, or to amend, alter and/or repeal any rule, regulation and/or article, section, paragraph and/or sentence in these Rules and Regulations. The rules and regulations shall be enforced by the Superintendent.
20. Special cases may arise in which the literal enforcement of a rule may impose unnecessary hardship. The Board of Trustees, therefore, reserves the right, without notice, to make exceptions, suspensions or modifications in any of the Rules and Regulations when, in its judgment, the same appear advisable; and such temporary exceptions, suspension or modification shall in no way be construed as affecting the general application of such.
Contact Us with Questions
799 Baltimore Street,
Gettysburg, PA 17325